Monday, May 08, 2006

What would you have done?

I got braids yesterday (kinky twists to be specific) at a new braid shop. After sitting for about 5 or 6 hours, I was in the final stages, when the braider took out a lighter and began to burn the braids throughout my hair to give it a sleeker look (for those who don't know, this is pretty typical). What wasn't typical was that the flame was pretty large and I ended up getting burned when the flame lit an errant braid, which landed on my chest. OUCH!!!!!!

As you would suspect, I was VERY upset about the incident and a little shocked as this has never happened before. The braider apologized, but I couldn't get over the fact that I got burned (it will probably leave a scar) in the process of getting braids. (Oh, by the way, the twists look fabulous, probably the best I've ever gotten.)

Anyway, as I was sitting there getting my faculties together and trying not to look at the burn (other customers and braiders kept peeking at me to see what I was going to do), I considered 1) making a scene (AKA hissy fit), 2) talking to the manager, 3) demanding money off the service, 4) not paying for the service at all, 5) punching the girl in the face (but I'm non-violent so I had to put that feeling away), and 6) not tipping her.

Anyway, I sucked it up and paid full price for the service (I'm so disgustingly non-confrontational), but I didn't tip the braider, which I usually do and well. My girlfriend, Kelli, was with me and she was just as shocked as I was. She told me she probably would have talked to the manager and demanded to get the service done for free.

Ok, I know what I did and I know what Kelli would have done, but what would YOU have done? The curiosity is killing me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tiffanie said...

A slight hissy fit would have been appropriate considering you've never beent there before and I wouldn't have tipped. Speaking to the manager probably wouldn't have helped one bit. Was this an African braiding salon? Just curious.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I am pretty non-confrontational too..I would have paid, but not tipped. I would love to see a pic of these fabulous braids!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I am pretty non-confrontational too..I would have paid, but not tipped. I would love to see a pic of these fabulous braids!

5:09 PM  
Blogger TNDRHRT said...

I would have paid half price with NO tip! She did do your hair, BUT she burned you in the process. I would have compensated her for her time and effort but not at 100%.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Charlie Mack's Granddaughter said...

I'm surprised Kelli hasn't read this and commented yet. She'd probably have a doozy.

Anyway, yes, it was an African braid shop. The girls in the shop didn't seem like the friendliest bunch but they're great at what they do.

My coworker said that she would have had a talk with the manager privately and insisted that some money be taken off the bill.

I'm such a wimp. I'll try to post pics of the twists sometime this evening.

Thanks for your feedback.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you would blog about this today. You know what I would have done. This siltation could easily end up on Judge Judy, so I'm sure the manager would have been happy to compensate you in some way. I don't think it's too late for you to call and talk to the manager, Sally. By the way Maryland ladies, we are talking about "Super Hair Braiding" at P.G. Plaza. How's that for negative publicity?

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel bad because I recommended this place to you. If you want me to call and talk to Sally, I will. I don't know how I feel about going back, because the braids do look great, and they are the only good braiding place that I know of, that opens at 7a.m...............even on Sunday.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Charlie Mack's Granddaughter said...

Don't feel bad, girl. It wasn't your fault. I'd even go back because they are really good. Your twists looked beautiful, as well.

I could go back to the salon in Laurel, but now that I know that there's a shop out there that is better, I don't want to go back to the Laurel shop. Although the girls in the Laurel shop ARE friendlier. Sigh...go figure.

I just won't go to THAT girl again...LOL

;-)

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >