Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Wanting to love my new floors

Later in the day after I posted "Let the renovations (finally) begin", I received a call from my cousin, Tiffanie - who uses Hawk's services and reads my blog - warning me to make sure I review Hawk's work carefully because lately she thinks his work is getting a little sloppy (thanks, Tif, a little late but appreciated). Anyway, I'm glad she gave me a heads up because I noticed a couple of quality issues that I might have overlooked without her warning.

Overall I like my new floors, but I don't love them. For starters, the grout that I picked out is darker than I anticipated. That's not Hawk's fault of course, but I'm hoping there's some trick out there he or I can use to lighten the grout (Clorox bleach pen maybe?) without ruining my new floors. Unfortunately, there are other quality issues that appear to be Hawk's fault and I'm hoping he can correct them since I shelled out a pretty penny (or what I consider a pretty penny...I AM rather cheap) to get the floors done. Derrick noticed a crack in one of the tiles under the toilet. I'm sure I would have overlooked it had he not pointed it out. I had to look twice before I noticed it and when I finally did I realized that it actually was very noticeable. I think it's time to get my eyes re-checked. Anyway, I'm thinking the tile cracked when Hawk placed the toilet on top of the tile. That tile needs to be replaced. Also, now the door to the bathroom sticks a little bit when you close it because the new floor sits up a little high. That also needs to be fixed, adjusted, or whatever, as well.

I'm not mad about it...yet, but if I get the run around or some crazy excuse as to why these issues are not his fault or not easily fixable, I'm going to have a fit. I'm already getting a little irritated that I called him this morning, left a message, and so far he hasn't returned my call (which he usually does right away!!!). What a difference a day makes. Sigh...

********************
UPDATE
Hawk finally called and told me that he would fix the cracked tile and shave the bottom of the door down a little to keep the bathroom door from rubbing against the floor. He also told me that he had noticed the crack after he put the toilet on the tile and thought about fixing it yesterday but didn't want to leave me without a toilet on the second floor (Thanks Hawk, I appreciate that...someone must have told him about my bathroom issues). Anyway, I also told him that I wasn't particularly ecstatic about the dark grout but he told me that the grout was actually a lot darker (like chocolate) before he mixed it. Lightening it may make it too white, so I guess I can live with the sandy beige that it's supposed to be.

I'm feeling a little better now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiffanie said...

Damn, I can't even believe you would put me out there like that! I called "a little late." WHATEVER. I CALLED! Anyway, I hope you find more blemishes, I mean I hope your shyt doesn't look like mine. Oh, I got a bill from our plumber/electrician today. That shyt is $1000 MORE than I budgeted. Thanks to my husband for tacking on shyt. Guess we WON'T be getting that large flat screen TV after all. Sorry...I just vented. Peace.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did put your cousin out there, with the link to her page, which has her picture on it, and you even told the world her name.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Charlie Mack's Granddaughter said...

Um, Kelli who asked you. Stop instigating! :-P

And Tif, you know I wasn't hating. I really do appreciate your heads up. I would have felt bad if I was the only one of EVERYONE I know who uses Hawk to find fault with his work. Well actually, if it helps, my dad is the only person before you who ever had anything negative to say about Hawk's work. But you know my dad. He complains about everything. ;-)

Anyway, didn't mean to offend. Love ya! And you too Kelli. :-P

Oh, and sorry to hear about the extra $1000. Ouch!

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >