Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Google: A path to reconnecting with old friends

As I'm sure I've mentioned several times in past posts, I have a lot of down time at my job. Fortunately, this will change very soon as I have a ton of new work that is arriving next week. However, in the meantime, I've found comfort in passing the time by reading blogs and surfing the Internet, and have become quite adept at finding just about anything on the Internet. Want to know how to get somewhere? Google it. Want to find out more information about something? Google it. Want to reconnect with old friends? GOOGLE IT.

Anyway, today as I was googling to my hearts content, I wondered whatever happened to my former coworker and good friend Nicole who I haven't talked to in YEARS. I worked with Nicole for about 3 years almost 10 years ago. That was back when I was working as an administrative assistant fresh out of college, semi independent (did what I wanted but was still being supported by my parents), and really enjoying hanging out with a few girls from work for happy hour and clubbing. We even went to the Bahamas together. Anyway, Nicole and I attempted to keep in touch for a little while after I left that job, but unfortunately we lost touch. It also didn't help that I lost favor with some of the girls that hung out with us, but after more than 10 years, that's water under the bridge.

I googled Nicole's name and immediately found her telephone and work email address. Warning to all: if you didn't know, many people's personal information can be found this way and unfortunately there's very little you can do about it. Fortunately for Nicole, I am not some crazy stalker, I'm just an old friend from the past who wanted to reconnect. So, I reconnected.

I sent Nicole an email letting her know that I had found her name and work contact information through a Google search, told her who I was (as if she needed to know that), and that I was trying to get in contact with her. Almost immediately after I hit the SEND button, I received the following response: "OMIGOD---this is a blast from the past!!! How are you!?!?!" Just like that, we reconnected and have made plans to meet for dinner next week.

The Internet IS good for something.

*******************************************
Menu (so far)
Yogurt - 1 pt
Toast w/ butter - 2 pts
Coffee w/ cream - 1 pt
Chicken salad sandwich - 9 pts (bad choice, too much mayo)
Chips (baked) - 4 pts (why?)

17 pts (eaten...I must really have the munchies today because I rarely eat this many pts before dinner), 35 weekly flex pts

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I love Google too! Have fun reconnecting with your friend :)

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >