Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spelman College: A celebration of 125 years


"Spelman, thy name we praise
Standards and honor raise
We'll ever faithful be
Throughout eternity
May peace with thee abide
And God forever guide
Thy heights supreme and true
Blessings to you.

Through years of toil and pain
May thy dear walls remain
Beacons of heavenly light
Undaunted by the fight
And when life's race is won
Thy noble work is done
Oh, God forever bind
Our hearts to thine"

- Spelman Hymn words and music by Eddye Mae Money, C'1934

Today marks the 125th anniversary of Spelman College, my alma mater. Unfortunately, as usual I am not able to attend any of the Founder's Day activities in Atlanta, but I always find a way to celebrate in spirit.

I have much love for my alma mater and encourage all my Spelman sisters to give back to the college that gave us so much.

My Sisters of the Class of 1993:
Remember freshman year when we sang the Spelman hymn in Sister's Chapel at EVERY ORIENTATION?!!
Remember the freshman step show? (Go Manley Hall!)
Remember our sister president Dr. Johnetta Cole?
Remember when Camille and Bill Cosby broke ground on The Camille Olivia Hanks Cosby Academic Center? (I still have my hard hat!)
Remember the convocations where we sat and listened to the words of Maya Angelou, Angela Davis, Toni Morrison, Wynton Marsalis, and so many others?
Remember the traditional white dresses and black shoes we wore at graduation?
Remember when Oprah Winfrey was the keynote speaker at our graduation?
Remember how special Spelman is?

Remember?

I do.

Never forget, ladies.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember. Spelmanites are high minded. Bless my soul they're very smart. They are kind and don't mind it. All day long.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Charlie Mack's Granddaughter said...

Aww, I remember that song from FRESHMAN YEAR, and it's been forever since I was a freshman. I love Spelman.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >