Thursday, April 06, 2006

A much needed apology

"I come before this body to personally express again my sincere regret about the encounter with the Capitol Hill police... There should not have been any physical contact with police. I am sorry that this misunderstanding happened at all, and I regret its escalation. And I apologize." - Cynthia McKinney

I don't generally like to talk politics or about politicians, but I felt the need to say something about this whole Cynthia McKinney mess. I almost didn't write anything after reading so many conservative blogs on the subject because they sounded so nasty, but as a MODERATE (liberal on social issues and conservative on economic issues) African American Democrat I have to say reluctantly that I AGREE with many of them.

It's about time she apologized.

Yesterday, I watched McKinney on American Morning with Soledad O'Brien and I just felt sad. She looked like an idiot. Instead of answering the question that people wanted to hear, "What happened in the incident with the Capitol Hill police officer, from your perspective?" she found every excuse in the book not to answer the question. This was after making at least 2 other televised appearances (why?) where she didn't seem to have a very clear and cohesive response as to why she hit the officer. Oh, and that press conference was REALLY a joke. Racial profiling indeed! Why she had to get my dear Danny Glover involved in her mess I will never know. Kudos to all of the African American members of Congress who didn't feel the need to jump on her band wagon.

Lady, you hit a COP with your cellphone because you were mad that he didn't recognize you: the "high and haughty" congresswoman. Ok, granted, you're a congresswoman, but the chief of the Capitol Hill police made a good point. There are 500 congressmen and women and even though 14 are black and you would probably assume recognizable to the guards at the door, these people are not in DC all the time. They go back and forth between DC and their home states, namely Georgia in McKinney's case, all the time. So there's a possibility that she wouldn't be readily recognized, especially with that new hairdo (I've been natural too, girlfriend, but I don't think I ever left the house - let alone been in front of the cameras - looking like that).

So, I'm glad that McKinney finally apologized because saying that the incident was sparked by racial profiling was just idiotic. That sorry statement was a slap in the face to those African Americans who have really been racially profiled. Their encounters usually result in jail time, hers was just a call to stop and when she didn't, an officer grabbed her arm to make her stop. She hit a cop and didn't even get jail time..."high and haughty" indeed.

I salute Soledad O'Brien for finally bringing forth this apology because I for one know that when McKinney reviewed the tape of her interview, like I did, she realized how much of an ass she made of herself and decided that the only thing she could do at this point to make this mess go away was apologize.

Kudos to the chief of Capitol police who made reference to "high and haughty" individuals who don't believe they need to follow the rules. I love that term.

Sista Congresswoman McKinney please take note. You are the very definition of "high and haughty." Now please immediately get over yourself, and let the Capitol Hill police go back to protecting and serving your privileged ass...

Ok, I'm done. No more political rants for a while...

Menu
Yogurt - 1 pt
Toast w/ butter - 3 pts
Salad w/ dressing - 3 pts
Chicken noodle soup - 3 pts
Pretzels - 4 pts
Asian Shanghai salad - 8 pts (not really sure...guessing)
2 bagels w/ butter - 5

27 pts (eaten), 35 weekly flex pts

1 Comments:

Blogger Cubafriminican said...

I want her to take note...while she's sitting in the chair at the beauty salon.

I agree with you 1000 percent. Who does she think she is if not someone who has to follow the rules like everyone else? By all reports, the office asked her to stop not once, but three, times. What does it take?

Boo...is your Afro in the way?

As a person of color, I feel embarrassed at the way she's handled this. And so should she.

I'm with you, Dee...that's probably the only reason she apologized.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >