Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sleeping (snoring?) in the hospital

Last night I went to the hospital for my sleep test. It was scheduled for Saturday night and not Friday night like I had posted earlier. Anyway, it wasn't too bad. It helped that I was sleepy when I first got to the hospital. Usually it takes me a while to fall asleep when I'm in a new environment (like a hotel), but I was so sleepy that I couldn't wait to get started with the test.

From the hospital's registration area, a nurse walked me to the sleep lab and showed me to a room that kind of looked like a hotel room. In it was a bed, dresser, a couple of chairs, and a bathroom with a shower. I don't know why I was so sleepy, but I was ready to jump in the bed and go to sleep right away. I changed into a t-shirt and shorts and sat in a chair while the nurse attached electrodes to various areas of my scalp (which was a little difficult since my hair is currently in braids), face, neck, and legs. I even had wires attached to my nostrils (Itchy...yucky) and a clamp attached to one of my fingers that monitored my oxygen levels. It took her about 15 minutes just to attach the electrodes and while she was doing this she was telling me about the procedure and why it was necessary and blah, blah, blah. Honestly, by this time I was so sleepy I wasn't really listening to her.

Anyway, when she was finished, I looked like some kind of science experiment with wires attached and taped all over my body. Again, I was happy that I was so sleepy because I think that if I wasn't it would have been really hard to get comfortable enough to fall asleep right away with my new decorations.

I was probably asleep by 9:30 p.m. and finished with the test by 4:30 a.m., but the nurse let me sleep until 5:00 a.m. Throughout the night, the nurse came to wake me up about 5 times to adjust a wire or the clamp that had somehow detached itself while I was asleep.

Overall, the experience was ok. I wish I hadn't repeatedly postponed the test because it really wasn't that big of a deal. Now I have to wait two weeks for my results and find out if I really have sleep apnea. I still hope I don't. Earlier in the day yesterday I found out that I actually know two people who have sleep apnea and use the breathing machine at night. I feel for them, because that's so not sexy, and it's important to be sexy in the bedroom. Anyway, I hope I don't end up in that situation, but I'll just have to wait and see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Sounds very interesting. I hope you get good results.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Tiffanie said...

I was thinking about you on FRIDAY night. I'm glad the test wasn't so bad. I'm anxious to know the results.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >