Sunday, April 02, 2006

Never satisfied

I can only relate this to women since I'm a woman and I discuss this topic with many other women, but why does it seem like we're never satisfied? The women I know are smart, strong, and accomplished, but always seem to want what they don't have. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but men don't seem to have this problem. I wonder if it's society that causes this or is it our family and friends or is it a strong desire within ourselves to want things we don't have or is it a combination of all three. I say this because I fall into this category. I'm a single, 34-year-old woman with a lot of things going for me but I still can't help feeling incomplete at times. Even though I have a great boyfriend, I have a great relationship with my boyfriend's son, I have a job that pays me well, I own my own townhouse, I own my own car, and I have great friends, I still want more. I want to be married, I want to have a baby, I want to be truly fulfilled in a job that pays well, I want a bigger house, I want a new car, I want to be at least a size 10 (maybe even 8)... I want... I want... I want...

I have a single friend who has a job that pays well, has great friends, has a nice apartment in a great part of DC, has an active social life, but still feels incomplete without a husband, a house, a fulfilling job that pays her better, and a size 2 wardrobe. She wants... she wants... she wants...

I have still another friend who is married, has a baby, has a house, but still wants more. The list of friends and their wants goes on and on.

I don't have the answers as to why we can't be truly satisfied with what we already have instead of wanting what we want when we want it. I wish I did. I wish the desire "to want" wasn't so strong. I wish my friends and I could be satisfied with what we have, or at least be content with waiting for our wants to come in due time. It's a constant struggle.

I don't know about my friends but maybe the reason why I want so much is because my parents cursed me with the middle name Desiree. It means to desire and to want.

Thanks, mom and dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >