Friday, April 07, 2006

Working alone sucks

When I started this blog, I made a vow to myself that I wouldn't use this forum to discuss my job or the people who work there. I've heard too many horror stories about how people blogged about the inner goings on at their jobs and then ended up fired because of it. Well I'm going to chance it today since this entry will be pretty benign. I just need to let go of a little stress that has been consuming me as of late.

I work for a very small company that is located inside of a much larger company. We have a special arrangement with the larger company (mentor/protegee relationship) which allows this to happen. Currently my company has a staff of 2.5 people in these offices: the boss, the project manager (me), and a part-time administrative person. There are other employees who work for my company but they are located offsite in another building. I don't work directly with the offsite staff and only see a few of them at our weekly Weight Watchers meeting. When I first started this job, I had a team of 2 staff (Paul and Gregory) working with me on my project, but now they no longer work for my company. They made working at my job fun. Unfortunately ever since they left, it has been a bit of a struggle to "like" my job.

My boss, although a nice guy, is a bit too reclusive for my taste and spends much of his time outside of the office. The part-time guy is also nice, but we don't have much in common. I've ventured out to the larger company to connect with other people (especially women) and make friendships but I can never shake the feeling of being the outsider since we don't work for the same company. It's a challenge, especially after working at my old company where socializing with my coworkers was an everyday occurrence. Now I mainly just sit at my desk and stare into the computer screen all day. Fun. Fun.

Unfortunately, I don't see things improving in the near future. However, on a positive note, I recently received a bunch of new work, so I'll probably be too busy to concentrate on the lack of social interaction at work... On second thought, that doesn't really sound all that positive.

Oh well... enough of this. Back to work.

Menu (so far)
WW yogurt - 1 pt (these are really good, BTW)
Green/red/yellow peppers w/ fat free raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing - 0 pts (yum!)
Chicken panini - 6 pts
WW yogurt - 1 pt

8 pts (eaten), 35 weekly flex pts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >