Friday, April 28, 2006

Little boys lost

Over the Easter weekend while visiting Derrick's family in Pittsburgh, I met two little Asian boys who were in the care of Derrick's mom who is a foster parent. They were brothers ages 1 and 2 years old. They were just the cutest little kids and as equally sweet as rambunctious. They had been living with Derrick's mom for a little over a month and I marveled at how quickly they had attached themselves to their new famiy. They called Derrick's mom "mom" and her husband "dad". It didn't matter that their new mom and dad were black and they were Asian.

I recently heard that these children are now in a new foster home after their biological parents (immature, neglectful idiots) petitioned to regain custody of them, reclaimed their two little boys, and then 24 hours later called childrens' protection services to return them to foster care. Apparently, they couldn't handle them. Unbelievable!!!

People, honestly, if you're not mature enough to have and raise kids, please don't have them. I mean this from the bottom of my heart. Don't screw up perfectly good kids because you can't get your own life together. It's not fair to them.

Now these kids are living with a new set strangers and going through the process of connecting with yet another family, which I'm sure is extremely difficult for them. Unfortunately, within the 24 hours that the boys were with their biological parents, a new toddler was placed in Derrick's mom's home and, therefore, she was unable to take the two Asian boys back in. I am so hurt by this.

When I think about them, I imagine my own childhood and how I took for granted that my parents were always there to nuture me and make sure that I was well taken care of. I wonder what will happen to these two little boys. Who will nurture them? Are their new foster parents as good as Derrick's mom and stepdad? Will these kids become statistics and get bounced from one foster care home to another? What happens if their parents are never responsible enough to take care them? What happens then? The thought of their uncertain futures saddens me greatly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That saddens me too. I guess the only thing we can do is pray for them.

-Tiff

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >