Friday, May 05, 2006

Remembering Mr. Grabisch

I was reading last week's Laurel Leader this morning before work (it always takes me a while to get to the city's weekly paper), and came across a death notice in the obituary section for my high school basketball coach and teacher Mr. Grabisch. I had to do a double take. I hadn't heard anything prior to reading the paper of Mr. Grabisch's death and it came as a huge shock. Mr. Grabisch was 57.

Mr. Grabisch always reminded me of a young Al Pacino. He was high strung, loud (he was a screamer, people), and just had that "thing" that let you know immediately that he was a straight to the point, take-no-sh*t New Yorker. Although he was mostly friendly, he was also annoying, and at times, I flat out couldn't stand him. During my last season with the team, we bumped heads so many times I thought neither one of us would survive the season. It's funny thinking about that now because at the season's year end award celebration he presented with me a team certificate, "The Team's Screamer Award". (I guess I could scream too.) I couldn't be mad with him after that. The man had a crazy sense of humor. :-)

After I graduated from high school, I lost touch with Mr. Grabisch. Occasionally I see one of his sons or his daughter, and even his ex-wife in town, but it's been over 10 years since I've last seen Mr. Grabisch. Although I'm really sad about his passing, I'm grateful for having known him. To me, he'll always be remembered as the tough, demanding, high strung, LOUD, annoying, yet loveable Mr. Grabisch. He will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >