Tuesday, July 11, 2006

When it rains, it pours

First it was my laptop giving me problems, and now it's my 1998 Mazda Millenia. My car didn't pass inspection last month, so I was told to take it to a mechanic to fix the issue (the knock sensor...whatever that is). Anyway, my father took it to his highly skilled and trustworthy mechanic yesterday and besides needing to replace the knock sensor, the mechanic told me I needed new front end brakes, the rotors rotated, new struts (???), and new CV boots. My car is freaking 8 years old and needs about $2,000 worth of work!!! Everyone but my dad is telling me to junk it and get a new car. I love him, but my dad is the king of cheapness. He believes in nursing a car until it dies, and wants me to do the same. He's currently driving a 1990-something Lexus LS400 that still runs pretty well with 212,000+ miles on it but is in dire need of a paint job and its interior cleaned. Oh, and did I mention the torn leather upholstery on the seats??? My dad treats this car (a Lexus!) like crap. I was actually embarrassed to drive his car yesterday when he took mine to the mechanic. I used to love driving this car. It's such a shame. Ugh!!! Now, I think even he's embarrassed. He's actually considering getting the upholstery replaced on a car with 212,000+ miles!!!

Love him though...

Unfortunately, I really don't have the money right now for a new car, so I'm actually considering getting some of these repairs done to my old car. I went ahead and got the new brakes, but the other repairs are pretty costly. If you're reading this and you have a valid argument for why I shouldn't do this, please, please, please forward your comments my way. I need all the advice I can get right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >