Friday, June 23, 2006

Call me Miss Va va va voom

My coworker is getting married tomorrow and I've been invited to her wedding. I've known about this wedding for over a month now, so of course I chose TODAY during my lunch break to find a dress. I'm happy to report that my struggles with finding a decent dress are behind me. I can now wear regular size dresses in a department store; no more plus size dresses that look like something only a granny would wear.

At first I was a little intimidated. Most of the dresses had skinny straps, no straps, or halter straps (the kinds that I've always steered away from) but I figured what the hell, I've lost 30 pounds. The least I could do is try them on. So, I picked out 6 dresses and took them to the dressing room. The results were as follows:

Dress #1 was brown, knee length, and was showing off entirely too much of my boobage. Derrick would have loved it but alas I am not into hoochie gear, so I went to the next dress...

Dress #2 was a cute v-neck, black dress with white polka dots and skinny straps. I loved it, but couldn't get the dress to zip up on the side, so ONWARD...

Dress #3 was also black. I had a little difficulty getting into this dress because I thought it had straps. It didn't. I quickly realized I was actually trying to wear the hanger straps. When I finally got everything together and looked in the mirror, my mouth just hung wide open. The dress was BANGING!!! I never thought a strapless dress could look so good on me. Anyway, I put that one to the side as a DEFINITE maybe...

Dress #4 was a brown halter dress. It had pink and cream designs on it. It was the only dress that was a plus size. I thought I'd try it on just in case I couldn't wear the others. It was cute and I would have definitely considered buying it... only it was HUGE on me. Guess what, I no longer wear a 18W...yippee!!!

Dress #5 was an unusual choice for me. The cut was similar to the strapless black dress but it had thin straps and a jagged hem. Oh and it was very colorful. The basic color of the dress was cream, but it also had tiny gold lines and big splashes of color throughout. When I first saw it on the rack, I thought the cut was beautiful but that the color may be a bit too wild for me. When I tried it on, I knew I HAD TO HAVE IT. WOW! I loved the way it looked on me. It was so beautiful and elegant. Only downside was that it was the most expensive of the bunch and I would also have to buy shoes to wear with it. So although I knew I wanted to get it, I had to consider the last dress...

Dress #6, although cute, really had no chance. It was purple, had little sleeves, flowed down to my feet, and looked similar to dresses that I have worn in the past (dumpy). The old Dee would have bought it because it was the best looking of the granny dresses. The new and somewhat improved Dee wanted va va va voom, so...

After careful thought and consideration, I bought Dress #3 AND Dress #5 AND ran down to Payless to buy a cute pair of strappy gold heels to wear with Dress #5 to the wedding tomorrow! Screw the price. I'll finally have at least two dresses in my closet that won't look like I've been robbing granny. I only hope I don't make the bride angry tomorrow when I outshine her at her wedding dress...just kidding... or maybe not.

I'll try to post pics of me in the dresses later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little hoochie never hurt anybody, but I will take what I can get from you. I am loving the new Dee.

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please post a pic. If you feel some kind of way about posting a pic of you, post at least a pic of the dresses. -Tiff

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >