Monday, June 12, 2006

Broke down at 34?

I'm convinced that my body is breaking down. First it was the debilitating menstrual cramps (that have now been alleviated with the help of the Lupron shot) and now it's chronic back pain. I've had back pain before, but nothing like what I'm currently experiencing. This new pain is a burning, stabbing pain located in my lower back that is very debilitating when I move in certain positions. I did an Internet search on the symptoms and it seems that the pain is neuropathic (meaning nerve related). Fun. Fun.

I'm going to have to make yet another doctor's appointment to get to the bottom of this new pain. Unfortunately, back and nerve problems run in my family on both sides. My dad has had chronic back pain for as long as I can remember, but his is mostly muscle related as a result of playing sports. My mother, on the other hand, developed nerve damage in her spine while in her early 50s from a degenerative condition. The operation to correct the problem almost made her a quadriplegic. She was paralyzed from the neck down for 4 months after the operation. She now walks with a cane as a result of permanent nerve damage. I thank God it wasn't worse.

I'm not concerned that I'm headed for a similar fate but I know I need to get this pain checked out as soon as possible. It's so bad now that I'm having trouble standing up out of chairs and even laying on my stomach or rolling over. I feel like an old lady, and Derrick told me that I look like an old lady. Old ladies are not sexy. Sorry, old ladies, but it's true.

Oh, and one more thing...speaking of old ladies... I'm now suffering from hot flashes as a symptom from the Lupron shot. Evidently, some of the symptoms of the shot mimic menopause. I used to think it was kind of funny when my mother started suffering from hot flashes. She could break out in a sweat in a heartbeat. Now that I'm feeling some of these effects, I can definitely say it's no laughing matter. At times it can only last for a few seconds, but those few seconds are miserable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >