Monday, May 22, 2006

Dinner with daddy

I was feeling very domestic yesterday, so I spent part of the day spot cleaning the carpet, washing and folding 3 loads of laundry, and cleaning the grill and patio. Everything was looking nice and presentable (I can be a bit of a slob sometimes), so I decided to invite my dad (who's been home alone for more than a week since my mom left with my sister and her family to help them get settled in to their new house in Atlanta) over for a little barbecue. Dinner consisted of grilled steaks, grilled shrimp on skewers, loaded sweet potatoes, salad, and warm sourdough bread (um...Weight Watchers who?). YUM!

Dad had a good time and enjoyed himself, despite the fact that apparently my throw rug in the entryway needs to be replaced and my wilted plant needs some attention (some things my dad just HAD to mention upon entering my house. Thanks, Dad!). This is a maddening game that he likes to play when he comes over. It's called the What-can-I-find-wrong-in-Dee's-house game. Can't you just tell how I love it? The last time he came over, he had to mention how my sofa was covered in clothes, which I kind of knew since I had put them there to fold while doing laundry, but you know HE has to point that out to me because I guess HE thinks I didn't know that. Anyway, THIS TIME I spent all day cleaning and straightening up my house to prepare for his arrival. I thought I would pass inspection this time, but NOPE. Apparently my entryway rug is just a little too ratty for his taste and I don't have a green thumb ("Imagine that!"...quote courtesy of Jade, ANTM).

Anyway, despite my dad's pickiness, I really had a great time and will invite him over again for dinner soon. Just for laughs, I'll keep my ratty rug and wilted plant out on display. I'm sure they'll be perfectly acceptable the next go around, but I'm sure he'll spot a crooked picture or messy drawer that he'll just have to bring to my attention. He wouldn't be my dad if he didn't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffanie said...

I can totally relate, except it's one of my many aunts that comments. She actually uses me and my sloppiness as a point of reference/motivation to her son to keep his room clean. "You are just like your cousin Tiffanie, huh?" When she comes over, she is lifting stuff and opening drawers! It's all good because I really don't pay her any attention and she's so funny. I just don't care. I laugh with her azz.

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >