Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Another death in the family

Mom called yesterday morning to tell me that my Aunt Paulette (my dad's sister-in-law and one of my mom's closest friends) had died. I knew when I took the call that it wasn't going to be good news. My mother almost never calls me first thing in the morning, and when she has, lately, it's been bad news.

Last year, she called to tell me that my uncle (her brother) had died. Then a few months later she called to tell me that one of my great aunts had died. The week of my great aunt's funeral, another great aunt died and a great uncle too. I guess death really does come in three's sometimes.

Anyway, back to Aunt Paulette. She had been battling cancer for a while, but lately it had seemed as though she was going to beat it. However, it's not clear whether the cancer caused her death. I'm now hearing speculation from the family that the cancer may not have been a direct factor. In addition to the cancer, she had other medical problems. She was found, by my uncle and cousin (who were home at the time), in the bathroom after having collapsed. From what I heard last night, she never regained consciousness. Another cousin told me there will be an autopsy.

When my mother and I went to my aunt's house last night, I couldn't get over the feeling of her not being there. Every single time I've been to her house, she's been there. And she always greeted me with a smile and her usual "Hey, Dee Dee. How ya doing?" I'm going to miss that. I'm also going to miss watching my mom and aunt sit together and gossip like true sisters. They were really close. But why wouldn't they be. They met in college, married brothers who they had met in college, were pregnant at the same time, had daughters 4 days apart (one of those daughters was me), and were both elementary school teachers.

I guess it's kind of fitting that my last conversation with my aunt was just before my mother's 60th birthday party this month. I was asking her if she was going to make it to the party. Her voice seemed a littled tired and weak but her personality was the same as ever. Unfortunately, her body was too weak to make the trip from Maryland to North Carolina for the party, so I didn't get to see her, but I'm glad I got a chance to talk with her a few weeks before her death. I'll always honor her and cherish the memories.

I love you, Aunt Paulette. You will be missed.

2 Comments:

Blogger TNDRHRT said...

My condolences to you and your family. (((HUGS)))

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences to you as well Chica.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >