Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Octavia Butler: Reconnecting with the reader in me


I read in The Washington Post today that Octavia Butler died last Friday. She was the first recognized and highly acclaimed African American female science fiction writer. It saddens me greatly to hear of her passing because I remember how much I enjoyed reading her books. It also saddens me because it reminds me of how long it's been since I've read a book.

At some point, I don't know when, I just stopped reading books. I tell myself I don't have the time and that my life is too busy, but the truth is that I just don't make the time. I look at my bookshelf full of books that I haven't read in years and I have no desire to pick one up and read it. I've even been toying with the idea of donating my books to the local library, since right now they're just collecting dust. But I guess now with Octavia's passing, I will pick up Kindred, Wild Seed, Parable of the Sower, or Parable of the Talents and reconnect with the stories that I enjoyed so much in the past. Parable of the Sower is a particularly good read. Better yet, maybe I'll go to the book store today and pick up one of Octavia's books that I haven't read. I hear Fledgling is great. I love a good vampire story.

Menu (so far)
Apple oatmeal - 2 pts
Potato chips - 1 pt (I just discovered fat-free Pringles. 15 chips for 1 pt and they taste great!)
Hamburger bun - 1 pt
Boca chick'n patty - 3 pts (Yum!)
Fat free provolone cheese - 1 pt

8 pts (planned so far), 35 weekly flex pts

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I will have to check her out. I love a good book. Some recent ones have been, The kite runner, The time Traveller's wife. Both great!

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >