Monday, October 01, 2007

Boondocks: It's not for kids

You would think most people know that Boondocks is not for kids, but I learned recently that is not the case. Yes, the Boondocks used to be in your family newspaper, but even if you read it there, you would know that it wasn't really for kids. It's adult. Boondocks is on a TV program called, Adult Swim. Uh... did you read that? ADULT!

So imagine my surprise when during a recent family reunion a cousin of mine who is older than me (and should have known better) decides to put on the Boondocks during a chartered bus trip to a nearby harbor with 5 to 6 kids younger than 10 on board. Sigh...

We were about 5 minutes into our trip when the movie came on. When Boondocks came up on the screen, I braced myself immediately for a show down. I don't really like confrontations, especially with family, but Derrick was with me and his son who's 9 was on board. I knew Jamal and the Boondocks wasn't going to mix. This was quickly confirmed when a string of motherf*ckers, sh*ts, godd*mns, etc. etc. etc. began to echo through the bus.

And you know what? No one said anything (!!!) ... except Derrick... to me... in my ear. He wasn't happy, ya'll. We don't listen to stuff like this in our house, let alone allow Jamal to, and here we were stuck on a 1-1/2 hour bus ride with one of the most inappropriate choice of movie imaginable for a FAMILY reunion bus trip.

Before this ridiculousness got too out of hand, I got up (at Derrick's urging) to confront my dear, but misguided cousin. I let him know that the content of the movie was too adult for the kids on the bus and that he needed to cut it off. His response? "Really? We can't really hear it that well up here."

HUH?!!! That was NOT the response I was expecting.

Anyway, I told him that whether or not HE could hear it, everyone else on the bus could hear it loud and clear and it needed to be turned off.

Needless to say, it was turned off, but it took him a few minutes to do so...sigh. He made an announcement that because of a complaint (MINE) he would have to turn off the movie. There were a couple of boos from some of the teenage cousins in the back of the bus (whateva, young'uns), but there were also several applauds, particularly from the mothers on the bus. I even received some personal thank yous from some of these mothers later. (Nice, but where were you when I was making my complaints...humph!)

Anyway... we listened to music for the rest of the trip to the harbor, had a great time partying on the boat cruise, and watched a KID FRIENDLY movie on the way back home: Are We There Yet? ... That's what I was thinking while watching this stupid movie. Are we there yet? BUT, it was much better for the kids, so I guess I did my charitable deed for the day.

_________

I'm back, people. ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger CreoleInDC said...

I'm jealous regarding your family reunion.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >