Monday, July 09, 2007

Smoking in the face of a child: Oh my!

On Saturday, my friend Stacia and I went to the fireworks show at Laurel Lakes. We walked through throngs of people around the lake to find a choice spot to watch the fireworks. Unfortunately, we got booted from our first spot after discovering that the tarp we were sitting on belonged to someone (silly us). We kept it moving. Our next spot was next to the stage where a blues/rock band was playing. It was a little loud, but otherwise we thought a good location, so we set up our folding chairs and sat down to enjoy the festivities. Regrettably after a few minutes or so, we booted ourselves after wafts of smoke started drifting into section. A woman that was sitting nearby with a group of people was smoking...UGH!

Now, I live with a smoker. I don't like it but it's a fact that I've come to accept and live with. The good thing (if anything is good about smoking) is that Derrick smokes outside ALWAYS. He never smokes around people (even when he's outside), and most importantly for me, he never smokes around me and rarely smells of smoke (however, those few occasions when he does...BLECH).

Why can't other people be as courteous?

Not only was this person smoking a cigarette around THRONGS OF PEOPLE, but she was also smoking in the face of her small child who was sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HER. Since the woman and her group had been sitting in their location before us, Stacia and I immediately stood up and searched for another location to sit.

People amaze me every day.

Anyway, Stacia and I found another spot, and just as we were getting comfortable, guess what? Some people came to sit near us and one of them pulled out a pack a cigarettes. (Uh uh...not this time). I started talking very loudly to Stacia about how rude people are to smoke when others are nearby. I also mentioned how much I enjoy the fresh air and hate to have it ruined by smoke. That chick put those cigarettes away and we never heard a peep out of her...LOL (That's what I'm talking about. Don't be a dragon lady!)

Those events happened a couple of days ago but I still can't help wondering about that child with the mother who smoked in her face. Asthma and lung cancer are real!Can the mother really be that unenlightened and naive that she would think smoking in her child's face (or anyone else's face for that matter) is ok? Isn't that child endangerment? I wish I was bold enough to have said something but I'm a wimp, and apparently so is everyone else because no one in the woman's group or nearby said anything.

That's just sad.

Can you tell I'm for a smoking ban? No smoking in any public place, indoors OR outdoors. Stop smoking people. You'll feel better for it. I promise.

4 Comments:

Blogger CreoleInDC said...

Girl...this is one thing I will never understand...smoking...just EWWWWWWW!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

I wouldn't be surprised if that woman smoked when she was pregnant with her child...horrifying.

I wish there were both an indoor and outdoor smoking ban, too. It seems as if the people who used to smoke in the clubs are now doing it in the streets. I want to breath fresh air, not die from secondhand smoke, thanks.

3:55 AM  
Blogger The Detective said...

Smoking in front of children or people who don't like it is a NO NO. I hate that.

9:48 PM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

well, you know how my son feels about smoking ;)

i wrote about it the other day on my blog. LOL

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >