Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer reading

I have been woefully neglectful in my reading. It's been 2 years since I really had the time or inclination to sit down and read a good book. Recently I decided that the books on my bookcase in my bedroom needed to go because the books (which I have already read at least once) were just collecting dust. I decided to pack the books up and prepare them to sell at my next yard sale (whenever that will be). I don't really like re-reading books, so I figured I should sell them or give them away to people who would actually read them instead of using them as decoration on a shelf.

Well a couple of weeks ago, my coworker and I were in a bookstore during our lunch break and while we were there I saw the book, Infidel, on the bookshelf. The book's author is Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the Somali-born member of the Dutch parliament who was threatened with death for her work on the film, Submission, which was about domestic violence against Muslim women. The director who worked on the film with her, Theo van Gogh, was assassinated for his role in making the film. Ali

I saw Ali, who now lives in the United States, on "Real Time with Bill Maher" several weeks prior to seeing her book in the book store. I was so intrigued by her story that I decided to purchase her book. Infidel is about Ali's internal struggle with her faith, her rise to prominence as an outspoken member of the Dutch parliament, and how her outspokenness has made her a target of Islamic extremists.

Normally I would have finished a book like this in about 2 days, but it's been hard to find the time to just sit down and relax enough to dedicate 2 days for a good read. So far the 10 pages I've read (ha ha) have been great. I encourage you to pick this book for your summer reading as well.

You can read an excerpt and reviews of Infidel here.

1 Comments:

Blogger CreoleInDC said...

I read about this book in the Post's Sunday book section and it sounded really good. Imma hafta check it out sinxe you've like the first 10 pages so far. LOL!

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >