Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Oh my aching back

Today, I did something I should have done 3 years ago...

I made an appointment with a professional masseuse to get a much needed hour-long deep tissue massage.

Over the past 3 years, I have lived with almost constant back pain that has hovered somewhere between a minor ache and take-my-breath-away spasms. I've tried pain medication, back massages from my sisters (who are both trained physical therapists) and boyfriend (who is not), and have even tried an expensive electric Shiatsu back massager with rollers that my boyfriend gave me one Christmas. All of it has provided some relief, but has ultimately resulted in continued back pain.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the pain is genetic (my dad has suffered from chronic back pain for years) or from over exertion (which is highly probable since I am still bad at letting Derrick carry heavy stuff like grocery bags and laundry baskets around the house...what can I say, I'm an independent woman...and a little stupid) or a bit of both, but I'm hoping that my trip to the masseuse will end the excruciating spasms that I have been experiencing of late. I can deal with the minor aches, but lately, getting out of bed or up from the couch has been met with what can only be described as seizing back spasms. It ain't pretty, ya'll.

This morning the pain was particular bad, so I tried to ease some of the pain and tension by doing some yoga. Can you say PURE COMEDY?! It was one back spasm after another. I'm going to see the masseuse before I try that nonsense again.

Anyway, tomorrow I will get a 1-hour Swedish/deep tissue massage that I've been promised will make me feel much better. Stay tuned. I plan to blog all about it. I know they promise relief, but all I've had since I made the appointment are visions of piercing screams, moans, and purple bruising all over my body.

And I bruise easily. Uh huh, more pain.

Ouch...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well? How did it go? You feel better?

1:15 AM  
Blogger Tasha said...

How did it go?? I need to find a masseuse and a pain doctor/chiropractor here. I cracked two of my vertebrae two years ago but I was still in NY then and can't seem to find anyplace near Laurel to get some relief!

Oh, btw found your blog @ Golden Silence

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >