Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Diversity at the Golden Globe Awards

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was somewhere smiling today as not one, not two, but THREE African Americans received top honors in acting (Jennifer Hudson, best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for "Dreamgirls," Eddie Murphy best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for "Dreamgirls," and Forest Whittaker best Actor in a Motion Picture for "The Last King of Scotland") at this year's Golden Globe Awards. These awards coupled with awards for "Dreamgirls" best Picture, Musical or Comedy; "Grey's Anatomy" best Series-Drama, created by sista girl, Shonda Rhimes; and even best Original Song "The Song of the Heart" performed by Prince made tonight's Golden Globe Awards particularly sweet. I was also happy to see "Ugly Betty" (one of my favorite shows) receive the honor for best Series, Musical or Comedy, and my girl America Ferrera receive the top honor as best Actress, Musical or Comedy in a Television Series. All I can say is "Times are a changin'."

Don't get me wrong, I was also very happy to see Kyra Sedgewick, Hugh Laurie, Helen Mirren (LOVE HER!), Meryl Streep, and Emily Blunt win their awards as well. I mean "we" can't win all the awards...LOL I like to see all talented people receive their deserved honors. But, it's also nice to finally see black and brown people (and not just one or two) finally get the recognition they deserve. I hope to see more of this at the Oscar's this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

ha! lemme say this.. I think we got great recognition at the golden globes..but the Oscars.. man one awards show at a time.. I doubt they will give the nods.. they couldn't deny denzel, jaime or halle when they gave it to them BUT they could have given Denzel and Halle theirs from other roles..but sometimes you gotta dance with the devil to get that top honor!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >