Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Saying farewell to familiar faces

I’ve enjoyed watching NBC4 for years. It’s the only local news station that I watch just about every day and because I’ve watched it for so long, I feel as though I personally know many of the on-air personalities. Unfortunately, NBC4 has decided that it's time to bring new blood into the mix and has begun to restructure the station. This restructuring has resulted in the laying off of many of the personalities that I have enjoyed watching over so many years. Some of the lay offs have already occurred while others will not go into effect until their contracts expire in March. My favorites, Jim Vance and Doreen Gentzler, are safe (for now), but I’ll miss the folks who have informed and entertained me over the years.

So long:

Susan Kidd – I had the pleasure of meeting you at an NBC4 sponsored Health and Fitness Expo many, many years ago. I remember that you looked slimmer and prettier in person. I’m sorry to see you go. You will be missed.

Arch Campbell – Hey Arch! I remember hearing your whacky laughter during the movie "Primal Fear". Even though I thought you were laughing during parts of the movie that were NOT funny, I was so excited that YOU were in the movie audience with me. Afterwards I went straight home to see your review, expecting it to air that night. (Yeah, I was young and dumb and the time). I caught your review a few days later. Anyway, I think you’re the best. I will definitely miss you.

George Michael – George! What am I going to do without my Jim Vance, Doreen Gentzler, and George Michael team? I read that you chose to leave instead of seeing members of your sports staff get the boot. I respect that. I’m glad that I will still get to see you do the Redskins Report.

Other familiar faces who are leaving or who have left include:

I.J. Hudson - Technology Reporter
Wally Bruckner - Sportscaster
Clay Anderson - Weatherman

4 Comments:

Blogger TNDRHRT said...

I only watch Fox5 news at night and Good Morning America/Local ABC news channel - what is it??) in the mornings. Some of the NBC4 names I have heard, though.

6:46 PM  
Blogger TDJ said...

Yes, NBC4 is the only station I watch in the evenings and at night. I will miss Susan Kidd the most. Like you said, I felt like I knew them. I "trust" the folks on 4 to give me the news. Thank goodness we still have Jim Vance and Wendy Reiger.

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOWWWWWW

5:32 PM  
Blogger Churchill001 said...

What the heck?? I've been gone from Silver Spring for a minute (3 years) but recognize everyone of these guys and I liked them all...sad.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


< ? Blogs By Black Women # >